Sunday, April 24, 2011

Last-Minute Shrug


Late last week I received an e-mail that there were some new modifications for the Something Beautiful Shrug by Dakine Knits.  There was an adorable photo of the a new version of the sweater with the button lowered and on Friday morning I decided my daughter needed one to go with her Easter dress.

The woman at the yarn shop actually said (sarcastically) "Good Luck!" when I told her my plan.  Was that a challenge?  I think so!  I purchased some beautiful Manos del Uruguay Wool Clasica yarn in color #27 (Petrol).  Wool Clasica is a handspun, kettle-dyed wool and is the same yarn I used for my Godson's Legacy sweater a few weeks ago.  I love the thick and thin texture and the subtle color variation.  I started the shrug on Friday night at 11:00 (we got home from church at 9:30 and by the time I got the kids to bed and the laundry in the wash, it was pretty late).  I knit for two hours before I called it quits, and picked it up on Saturday afternoon around 12:45.  By 3:45 I was finished the body and spent another 90 minutes knitting the sleeves and weaving in ends, for a total of 6.5 hours from start to finish.  I'm definitely NOT the fastest knitter so if I can do it, you can too.


If anyone is interested in either the original Something Beautiful Shrug (which is in my gallery in lime green yarn) or the new modified version (below), please send me an e-mail: rdsonntag@gmail.com. 



 Just because I think they're pretty adorable, here is an action shot of the sweater on my daughter (23 months) hugging her big brother (4).

1 comment: