Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Free Hat Patterns!

Don't you love free patterns?  I do.  When I started learning to knit, I would spend hours sitting on the computer and browsing Ravelry, adding things to my favorites and printing out more patterns than I could fit in my 1" 3-ring binder.

This winter I knit quite a few hats, both for my own children and as gifts.  Since I love free patterns so much, i decided to jot down my notes so I could share them with everyone in the Ravelry community.  I personally think hats are a great way to learn to knit in the round and to practice keeping even tension throughout your project.  They are pretty quick to make, and instant gratification is great when you're taking on a new hobby.  It's also a great way to show off hand-painted yarn, especially when you have a couple ounces left from a project.

The first hat that I would like to share is called the 3-Hour Hat.  I whipped these up as a Christmas gift for my childrens' best friends, an 8 and 10-year-old.  It's knit with bulky yarn (the items photographed are made with super-soft Cascade 128 Superwash) with larger needles.  The pattern, as written, should fit from a child to an adult with a small-to-average head (ok, they fit me, and I have a pretty small head).







The Simple Beginner Toddler Hat was created for my own children for their Christmas card pictures.  I purchased this gorgeous yarn, a colorway called What's In a Name? by The Yarn Gnome on Hyena Cart.  Megan at the Yarn Gnome is one of my favorite dyers, and this is only one of the many beautiful colorways I have received from her.  As soon as I saw this yarn, dyed on Superwash (washable is always great for kids accessories!), I just knew it had to be matching hats for the kids.  I wanted to write a pattern that would be easy enough for a beginner but could be customized by a more advanced knitter.  I'm so happy with how they came out!





Please share your projects on the Ravelry page for each item - I love to see the finished projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment